Administrative Assistant to the Dean of the College
Job PostingsWednesday, June 6, 2018
Briercrest College & Seminary is a community of learning that calls students to seek the kingdom of God, to be shaped profoundly by the Scriptures and to be formed spiritually and intellectually for lives of service.
The Dean of the College gives leadership to the academic life of the college. The Assistant to the Dean of the College supports him or her by engaging in research, by collecting and disseminating academic information to faculty and academic staff, and by overseeing various components of the academic administration.
The Administrative Assistant to the Dean of the College will:
- Enjoy serving people as well as performing multiple office tasks.
- Possess strong interpersonal and communication skills—both oral and written.
- Possess strong academic ability and interest.
- Work well as a member of a team.
- Be competent with computer programs including, but not limited to, Word, Excel, and Outlook, and be willing and able to develop these skills further.
- Possess good organizational and administrative skills with a strong aptitude to manage details.
- Able to complete projects autonomously.
- Be marked by a commitment to integrity and confidentiality.
- Have completed a Bachelor of Arts degree or equivalent.
DESIRED OUTCOMES AND ACTIVITIES
The Assistant to the Dean of the College is responsible to:
- Support and actively promote the mission of Briercrest College and Seminary.
- Offer administrative support to the Dean of the College.
- Serve as the receptionist for the Office of the Dean of the College and provide excellent customer service for all who phone or visit the office.
- Manage the Dean of the College’s calendar.
- Complete projects at the request of Dean of the College.
- Complete general office duties such as maintaining office supplies, distributing faculty mail, and managing photocopier user IDs and monthly reports.
- Maintain regular communication with resident and visiting faculty members in matters relating to academic policy, teaching assignments, faculty assistant allotments, teaching and learning budgets, academic due dates, syllabus submission and review, independent studies, meeting schedules, and print requests.
- Track and process course overload payments and faculty reimbursements.
- Maintain records of professional development expenditures for each faculty member.
- Serve as the contact person for visiting faculty, overseeing the preparation of contracts, communication, travel and accommodations arrangements, honorarium payments and travel reimbursement.
- Facilitate the interview process for all candidates for faculty posts.
- Oversee the preparation of faculty offices and welcoming for new faculty members.
- Coordinate the syllabus submission and review process; electronically file all syllabi and post syllabi online for students.
- Communicate with faculty about course evaluation dates, compile course evaluations, and file complete evaluations for the Dean’s review.
- Work with Academic Services to administer the independent study request process.
- Work with Academic Services to facilitate conflict exams and work with the Student Success Centre to facilitate accommodation exams.
- Serve as the primary academic contact for the Bookstore regarding text orders.
- Facilitate the development of agendas for Faculty Senate, Academic Planning Committee, and Deans Council meetings.
- Write meeting minutes and provide administrative support for select committees of the Faculty Senate.
- Schedule graduation portfolio interviews.
- Assist the Registrar and Dean of the College in maintaining academic policies and the Faculty Handbook.
- The Assistant naturally reports to and receives supervision from the Dean of the College.
- This position works closely with the Registrar and the Academic Services office.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, résumé/CV, names of three references and any specified documents by email to the Human Resources office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All employees of Briercrest College and Seminary are required to sign and adhere to our Institutional Covenant. Please review the covenant prior to submitting your application.