College Residence

We believe that an education that impacts the whole person includes experiences inside and outside the classroom. Students who live in dorm live in a community with people from different backgrounds and experiences, form lifelong friendships, and grow spiritually. Students and faculty agree that dorm life is one of the best parts of the Briercrest experience.

Each dorm has a Residence Director (RD) and each hall has two or three Residence Assistants (RAs). These leaders are there to offer help and support and encourage spiritual and social development.  




Q: What does RD, RC, and RA mean?
A: Residence Directors (RD) are full-time Student Development staff who are responsible for overseeing of a certain number of residences (typically 1-2). They also oversee and direct the teams of student dorm leaders under their care (RAs and RCs). Residence Assistants (RA) are mature students who live in the dorm and help lead their peers. They are students who have both a heart for God and a desire to serve their fellow students. Residence Coordinators (RC) are senior students who assist the RDs in a variety of ways. They may help lead the student leadership team or they may be given a set of unique responsibilities within a residence.

Q: Is the dorm a safe place to live?
A: Yes. The combination of our location, safety measures and staffing, onsite leadership and supervision, student conduct code, and student body makeup all contribute to make our campus a very safe environment.

Q: Will I have phone and internet access in my room?
A: All residence rooms are wired for personal phone and internet use (high-speed DSL internet connection is available on campus). You are responsible to arrange your own connections by contacting the local service provider, SaskTel. Various product and service options, as well as corresponding fees, can be viewed on the SaskTel website

Q: Where can I do my laundry?
A: Each residence has laundry facilities and there is a community coin-operated laundromat on campus.

Q: Where do I eat?
A: With the exception of residents in Sundbo Place, all dorm students are required to sign up for the full meal plan and eat in the dining hall.

Q: Are there kitchens available in the dorm?
A: Most dorms have at least one kitchen available (see individual dorm profiles for more specifics).

Q: Can I have appliances in my room?
A: Refer to the Briercrest College and Seminary Residence Life Code.

Q: Is there storage space in the dorm?
A: All the dorms have designated storage space available in them. This space is typically left open during the school year and secured during the summer months (so returning students can leave items in storage over the summer).

Q: What if I don't like my roommate?
A: We encourage students to communicate and work through differences that may arise between roommates. Learning how to tolerate, respect, and consider the needs of others are valuable life lessons that can be learned in a community-focused living environment. Having said this, there is dorm leadership in place to help students work through more difficult situations. Approach your RD immediately should you encounter something unusual or extreme.

Q: Can I bring my TV? What about video games?
A: Personal TVs are not allowed, but there are TVs and VCRs in the dorm lounges for students to use. Video game playing is restricted to non-offensive games and should not dominate your time. Read more about this in the Residence Life Code.

Q: Do I need to bring my own bedding?
A: There are good quality twin-size mattresses in each dorm room. Students must supply their own bedding (sheets, comforters, pillows) and are required to have a mattress pad on the bed at all times. You can bring a pad with you or purchase one from the school when you arrive.

Q: Is there a curfew for dorm students? What about other rules?
A: Check out our Residence Life Code for all kinds of helpful information.

Q: Can I talk to my roommate before I come to college?
A: Unfortunately, privacy of information regulations do not permit us to give out the name or contact information of an unknown roommate in advance.

Q: How do I get in a room with my friend?
A: There is a section on your application form that allows you to request a particular roommate by name. Please refrain from asking to room with a particular student unless you have talked to them about it and they have agreed to the suggestion.

Q: When do I find out which dorm I'm in, and how are requests to live in specific dorms processed?
A: Normally students find out what dorm they are in when they arrive on campus. Requests to be placed in specific dorms are processed in order of the date of deposit. So, the earlier you finalize your application process and pay your deposit, the better chance you have of getting into the residence of your choice.

Q: What should I bring to decorate my room?
A: A list of appropriate dorm room decorations can be found in the Residence Life Code.

Q: Can I bring my pet?
A: The only pets allowed in the dorm are fish in a moderately sized aquarium (maximum 10 gallon/45 liter tank).

Q: Can I store my bike somewhere?
A:There are bike racks located outside of most residences, but there is no in-dorm storage of bikes allowed.

Q: Can people visit me in the dorm?
A: Dorm students are able to have friends of the same gender visit and/or stay with them in their dorm room. If a guest is staying overnight in the dorm, the RD must be informed in advance and you should discuss it with your roommate. There is no charge for the first three nights of the visit, but each night after that there is a $5.00/night fee (visits of more than one week are discouraged). All guests must abide by the rules of the dorm.

Q: Do students have to live in the dorm?
A: All single students are required to live in the dorms unless they have been approved to live in community housing based on one of the following criteria:

  • Live with immediate family on campus or in the vicinity
  • Plan to commute to school from a pre-established residence in Moose Jaw or surrounding area (minimum of one year prior to application)
  • Are 23 years of age or older at the beginning of the semester requested
  • Have 4th year status at Briercrest College and Seminary (a minimum of 90 credit hours applied toward a degree, including transfer credit), or have six previous full semesters living in Briercrest College and Seminary dorms.

Please note that all Community Housing (CH) students are required to meet regularily with a mentor. The mentoring self-report form can be found here.

Applications for Community Housing can be found here, and the portfolio component outline can be found here. Once filled out, these should be directed to Student Development Office at or 306-756-3360.

Throughout my adventures this year, I have made some incredible friendships with amazing people who have challenged me to grow in my faith, embrace hope in the future, and break out of my comfort zone.
Loris Tiede