Briercrest Schools invites applications for a Library Director commencing as soon as a suitable applicant is found (see attached position profile for details). While Briercrest has the largest theological collection in the province, it also serves a wide-ranging academic spectrum and provides services to high school, college, and seminary students. The college delivers university level instruction in a Christian liberal arts environment. Candidates should possess a recognized Master’s degree in Library or Information Sciences and preferably another Master’s Degree relevant to our curriculum. If qualified, the Library Director may teach some courses in the college. Questions about the nature of the position may be directed to the Dean of the College, Don Taylor (firstname.lastname@example.org). Applicants should submit a cover letter, transcripts and curriculum vitae to Mr. Rob Schellenberg (HR@briercrest.ca), Director of Human Resources, Briercrest College, Caronport, SK, S0H 0S0.
Briercrest College and Seminary is a private, confessional post-secondary institution in the evangelical Protestant tradition. Candidates must be committed to historic Christian orthodoxy and be sympathetic to the traditions of the college. All employees agree to sign a doctrinal statement and code of conduct.
Information about the school can be found at the institutional web site, http://www.briercrest.ca.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. Briercrest Schools hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to the principle of equity in employment, we welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified persons.
The Director of Library Services provides oversight to all the functions of the library and leads the staff in providing excellent and efficient service to students and faculty. The person in this position reports to the Dean of the College and has a place on the Faculty Senate.
CHRISTIAN COMMITMENT AND CHARACTER
- Proven Christian character
- Compatibility with the ethos of Briercrest College & Seminary as reflected in our statement of faith, mission, and community standards
- Demonstrated organizational, administrative and leadership skills
- Ability to work effectively with library staff, teaching faculty, and students.
- American Library Association accredited (or equivalent) master’s degree in library or information science is required
- A second graduate degree in a discipline that forms part of the BCS curriculum is an asset.
- Previous academic library experience is an asset.
- Familiarity with library automated systems and current technology
- Oversees all library functions including staff training and supervision, library promotion and reference assistance
- Builds the library resource collection
- Prepares and manages the library budget
- Plans for information literacy for library users
- Considers strategic planning for all areas of the library
- Acts as system administrator for the library’s automated system
- Oversees management of the institutional archives
- Gives leadership in the wider life of the institution, including committee work and liaison with the faculty of each school
- Stays current and advises on copyright legislation and implements best practices accordingly
- Provides oversight to the Bookstore operation
- Prepares annual reports for program and organizational reviews
- Where qualified the Library Director may teach courses in the college as negotiated in their contract